"Time saved by getting it right in the camera is time you won’t be stuck in front of the warm glow of a computer screen deleting problem images or trying to fix them ~ Jeff Guyer"
History of Photography
... "And said God let there be light, and there was light ~ יְהִי אוֹר"
- In The Beginning
- First Photograph: View from the Window at Le Gras, 1826, Joseph Nicéphore Niépce
- Photography Pioneers
- The History of Photographic (Chemical) Processes
- Color Motion Picture Film AKA: Movies (WiKi)
- Brief History of Photographic Flash: "Someone had a BRIGHT idea!" Yup, I said it ...
- History of Photography Timeline
- Going Digital
- Most Honored Photograph: This is an incredible story deserving our remembrance, "Lest We Forget". A tale of nine brave airmen men (a misfit crew) flying an old, beat-up B-17 which they had re-built and re-fitted. Men who fought in the South Pacific during the early days of World War II known as The Eager Beavers. This is their story of how they had risen beyond all expectations.
- Your Pictures, Your Rights
- Watermarking: Aesthetics versus Attribution
- 10 Helpful Websites for Protecting Your Photography Copyrights
- Five Simple Tips On How To Find Your Images Online: Who is using your images?
- How I paid off my mortgage by chasing copyright thieves:
... a very interesting article with many helpful tips.
- Work for Hire: What it means and how to protect yourself!
- The Doctrine of Fair Use from U.S. Copyright Office
- Five Laws Anyone Working in Photography Should Know ~ Well, at least in the USA
- Five Reasons Why I Don't Care if My Stuff is Pirated: A New Way of Thinking
- Let them Steal: Indeed, a different point of view
Cambridge in Colour
Digital Photography School
- Growing Up Photographically ~ "When I was a young photographer I made simple images, but once older and wiser, I act and create as a more mature photographer."
- Free Online Photography Courses and Tutorials
... a resource list much like this one but only for beginners.
- Beginners’ guides to digital SLR photography (Home Page)
- Understanding Aperture – A Beginner’s Guide
- Beginners Guide: Under and Overexposure: When we're all said and done "there is NO such thing as under and overexposure."
- Exposure Triangle
- What is a DSLR
- Guide on Using Tripods: A stable idea!
- Newbie to Expert Photo Editing in Five Minutes
- 5 second Stubble and hair Removal skin smooth in Photoshop Tutorial (Video)... easily translated into other editors
- Photography Tips for Beginners
Display Monitors and Calibration:
... Monitor, Printer and Camera calibration is a very important first step toward viewing and photo-editing!
- Five Important Specifications To Look For In A New Monitor From a Photographer’s Perspective
- IPS Displays: A practical guide to understanding IPS Display Technology
- Pixel Density (PPI) and Viewing Distance Calculator
- Should you Calibrate your Monitor? ~ w/video
- How to Calibrate Your Monitor for Photography
- Easy Monitor Calibration
- Science behind tuning your monitor
- Accurate Colour with Camera Calibration
- Camera Calibration with SpyderCHECKR®
- Monitor and Printer Calibration: Google Search
- Where do we go from here?
Colour Management and Colour (ICC) Profiles
- Noise Reduction
- Secret to Avoiding Noise
- Expose to the Right
- Exposing to the Right is a Bunch of Bull: OK, an alternate opinion
- A Look at Reducing Noise in Photographs Using Median Blending
- Averaging Identical Shots to Remove Noise ~ Translated from Russian to English
- Removing Noise from Non-Dark Framed Long Exposures ~ JMG Galleries
- The Ultimate Guide To The Frequency Separation Technique
... Edit image details in the different frequencies independently ~ Advanced Reading
- Understanding ...
- Sharpening and Why Is Sharpening Necessary?
- How Your Camera Sees the World:
- The MTF Chart
- Handheld Light Meters (Google Images)
- The Flash
- Color Space (WiKi)
- Bokeh (WiKi)
- Digitizing film, negatives and transparencies
- The Wonderful World of Black & White
- Sharp Images
- Sharpness is Essential ~ The tools and techniques for perfect focus. NOT the kind of sharpness that comes from post-processing but real sharpness that comes from tack-sharp camera and lens focusing.
- Hyperfocal Distance in Landscape Photography
- How to calculate hyperfocal distance: w/ FREE hyperfocal cheat sheet
- Making Photos Look their Sharpest
- Make your own 'GhettoCAL' a lens calibration system
- Back-button Auto Focus Technique: Be amazed ... be amazed at how well it works!
- AF Micro-adjustment ~ Specifically for Canon lenses but knowing where to adjust within the camera's menus allows the technique to also work for Nikon.
- Composition, the image start with
- What is Composition in Photography?
- "Why Composition is So Damn Important"
- Composition in Photography ~ assignment discussion
- Photography's Top Ten Composition Guides AKA: Rules
- Rule of Thirds and Breaking the Rule of Thirds
- Golden Ratio Explained
- Use the Golden Ratio to Improve Your Photography
- The Compositional Rule of the 'Diagonal'
- Open and Closed Composition
- 3 Tips For Video Composition From Stills to Motion
- Guide to Composition
Learn the Fundamentals of Photography by Practicing Other Media
- Focal Length
- Lighting, natural and artificial
- Lighting ~ A very good collection, forty five lighting tutorials for the beginner to the more advanced photographer.
- 15 Hard Core Lighting Setups To Have You Light Like A Ninja
- Back Lighting: Shooting and Editing
- Simple Three Speedlight Set Up For Fashion Portraits
- Strobist: Is a popular resource for photographers who want to learn how to use their flashes like a pro. Start with their Lighting 101 tutorial.
- Finding Your Light ~ The Hand Trick
- Portrait Retouching
- Selective Color is possibly the best tool for photographers
- Preventing and Correcting Chromatic Aberration
- Maximizing the Camera's Dynamic Range Potential
- Resize Images for Print in Photoshop
- Cleaning the Cameras Sensor ~ dedicated site looking only at sensor cleaning
- Take Photographs that Require NO Post-production
- Improving Rainy Day Photos
- Match Tone and Colour in Photoshop ~ Youtube
- Making Cinemagraphs ~ still image where part(s) of the image move like movies
- Five things NOT known about 'Curves'
- Photographing Small Projects
- Photographing Lightning Storms
- How To Catch Lightning in Every Single Frame
- Developing your Photographic Skills
- Developing your Photographic Skills Using Everyday Objects
- Levitation Shots: floating your subject
- Detailed Masking: accurate way to cut-out subjects for composites
- How to Create a Droste Effect Recursive Photo
... or Create The Droste Effect And Mesmerizing Animated GIFs.
... Film is NOT Dead it Just Smells a Little Funny!
- The Power of a Print
- History of Photographic (Chemical) Processes
- Easy C-41 Colour Negative Film Processing
- Correcting Colour Negatives (removing the orange tint) with your photo-editor
- Photography Glossary
- Memory Cards
- Understanding Image Sharpness: Scientific paper discusses various aspects in obtaining sharp photographs such as obtaining sharp focus, avoiding shake and motion blur, possible lens resolution etc ~ White Paper
- The True Reasons for a Full Frame Camera: Scientific paper tries to give general criteria to decide when a full frame camera would be the best option ~ White Paper
- JPEG Voodoo: Does JPEG File Size Matter?
- Useful Photography Tips from www.thephoblographer.com
- Top Photography Sins and Mistakes to Avoid
- Guide To Graphics Tablets
- Wireless Tethering: Connect select Canon or Nikon DSLR cameras via WiFi
- VERY High-speed Photography, such as photographing high velocity bullets.
High Dynamic Range (HDR) Photography
- What is HDR (WiKi) HDR Images (Google Images)
- Why I Hate HDR or When HDR is so overdone it hurt's the eye's
- HDR Learning Center
- Five Tips for Tasteful HDR Photography e.g. "Our eyes have greater dynamic range capability than a camera’s sensor, so the point is to create a photo that better reflects the way our eyes witnessed the scene. Over-the-top HDR isn’t believable, and pleases nobody"
- HDR How-to
- A Very Comprehensive HDR Panoramic Photography Tutorial - The value of using the high dynamic range (HDR) technique for creating landscape panoramas will be examined within this highly detailed lesson.
- Sculpting with Light
- Tips and Techniques
- An Introduction to Macro Photography
- Tools and Equipment
- Averaging Macro Images to Remove Noise
- Macro Photography Lighting
- Lens Magnification
- Six Tips for Near-macro Photography using a Telephoto Lens
- Sometimes Close-ups Are Better From Far Away
- How-to Shoot Super MACRO Photos
- Fun with MACRO
- Wide-angle MACRO Photography
- Focus Stacking for MACRO
- MACRO Inspiration
- Why Do Aerial Photography?
- Part 1: It's FUN! Learn about, skill requirements, getting your feet off the ground and photo equipment needed.
- Part 2: Get ready to fly! Learn about camera equipment, lens focal length and how to plan your flight.
- Part 3: Get that camera ready, ISO, shutter speed, aperture, focus and white balance.
- Part 4: Go flying, time to use all those aerial photography techniques you've learned.
- Aerial Photography for Beginners: How to get started.
- Kite Aerial Photography Images
- High Flying Photographers
- Southern Oregon RC ~ RC Forum
- Aerial Photography (AP) / First Person View (FPV)
- Multirotor (Drones)
- RC Helicopters
... photographing the night sky
- Astrophotography (Google Images)
- Astrophotography Tutorial
- Planets: a FREE planetarium for navigating the skies with an iPhone, iPod or iPad
- Photographing the Milky Way: Detailed guide
- How to Photograph the Milky Way
- Medium Format Astrophotography Without a Medium Format Camera
- Milky Way Exposure Calculator
- Catching the Light by Jerry Lodriguss
- Panther Observatory by Johannes Schedler
- Introduction to Landscape Astrophotography
- Photo Tutorial ~ photographing the night sky
- Planets: FREE planetarium, navigate the skies with an iPhone, iPod or iPad
- Hubble Space Telescope
- Sloan Digital Sky Survey ~ Mapping the Universe
- Take a Picture of the Moon (Digital or Not)
- Photograph the Moon with Different Lenses
- Averaging identical astrophotography images to remove noise ~ Russian to English translation
- Removing Noise from Non-Dark Framed Long Exposures ~ How-to from JMG Galleries
- Some of the Best Photos of the Night Sky, and How to Make Your Own
- Astrophotographer Wei-Hao Wang Gallery
- Simple and Powerful Noise Reduction for Star, Milky Way and Night Sky Photography
- Photography Infographics ~ Cheat Sheets and Tips
- SLR Camera Simulator (online) about the simulator
- Digital Camera Database: Compare sensor size, pixel pitch and many other important sensor characteristics. Supported within it's database are over 3,474 digital cameras.
- By the Numbers
... Beware the 'Click Monger,' those who list each category or subject on a new separate page for the sole benefit of their advertisers. Not many practice this strategy although can be found most prevalent but not exclusively on a few so called, Magazines or sites that also offer content in print.
- 07 Tutorials on Capturing Motion and Movement
- 12 Myths about Photography and Photographers
- 40 Tips to Take Better Photos
- 10 Photography Lighting Tutorials
- 20 Photography Documentaries ~ YouTube Videos
- 50 FREE Photo Resources
- 50 Photography Techniques and Tutorials
- 84 Lessons and Photo Techniques
- 100 Photography Tutorials
... Online and Application Downloads
- Pin Hole Cameras
- Depth of Field (DoF)
- DoF Calculator
- DIY DoF Scale ~ Make a DoF calculator for use in the field.
- Hyperfocal Distance
- Circle of Confusion Calculator
- DoF Field Table
- DoF Articles
- Online Bokeh Simulator and Depth of Field Calculator. For use in the field without an internet connection downloads are available for Windows, OS X, Linux and Android.
- JD Photography
- Image Display, Monitors
- Is this a Retina? - Pixel Density (PPI) and Viewing Distance Calculator
- ... ... ...
... with a little humor ...
- You Are NOT a Photographer:
... Faux Photography. When a professional or "Faux Pro" ain't ALL the "PRO" they need and should be ~ Funny PICs
- Shit My Photography Professor Says ~ Not Safe for Work (NSFW)
... "So, I am taking a photography class. My professor is legitimately insane / legitimately brilliant. This is a 'tumblr' devoted to his rants and rages. Embedded in them are bits and pieces of truth.
- The Photo-Fetishist League:
... Let us read from the GOOD Book
Link-rot (dead links)?
- Please report dead links in the 'comments' section.
Friday, April 22/2016